We Are Phillip Island recognises your privacy is important and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect about you. Within Australia, the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘Privacy Act’) and the National Privacy Principles which form part of the Privacy Act govern the way in which we manage your personal information and this policy sets out how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage personal information about you.
Types of information collected
We may collect and hold personal information about you. Information which can identify you, such as your name, address, contact details and other information relevant to providing you with the services you are seeking or have subscribed to, or someone else you know is seeking or has subscribed to.
Purposes of collection
Generally, we will collect and use your personal information for one or more of the following reasons:
- providing information and services to you or someone you know;
- processing an application or enquiry you have made;
- undertaking various activities required by law;
- providing you with information about other services which may be of interest to you which we and other organisations we have affiliations with may offer;
- providing you with promotional information about us and other organisations that we have affiliations with;
- facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements; and analysing our services and customer needs with a view to developing new and/or improved services.
- We Are Phillip Island will only collect personal information necessary for one or more of its functions or activities; and will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
Methods of collection
Failure to provide information
If the personal information you provide to us is incomplete and/or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you, or someone else you know, with the services you or they are seeking.
Use and disclosure
Generally, we use and disclose personal information about you for the purposes for which it was collected. We may also disclose personal information about you to:
- other organisations we have affiliations with for the purposes of providing you with information about services and various promotions which may be of interest to you.
We may share your information with the following entities:
- Third-party vendorswho provide services or functions on our behalf, including operation of the website, business analytics, marketing, distribution of surveys and management of products. We may also authorise third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including as necessary to operate features of our website. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
We also may share your information:
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; or to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company, our customers, or others.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information. We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
Cookies and other technologies
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, as well as email communications.
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Our websites may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, which are placed in the code of a Web page.
We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
We store your personal information in electronic form. We take commercially reasonable measures to ensure your personal information is stored safely to protect it from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These may include both electronic and physical security measures.
You may be entitled to access the personal information we hold about you, upon making a written request. We will endeavour to provide you with access to the personal information requested within 30 days. We may charge you a reasonable fee for processing your request. We may decline a request for access to personal information where the Privacy Act requires us to do so. If, upon receiving access to your personal information or at any other time, you believe the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us immediately. We will take reasonable steps to correct the information so it is accurate, complete and up to date.